[dundee] gentoo for beginners

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Sat May 31 21:41:33 BST 2008

2008/5/29  <jonny at vulcan25.org>:
>>                How much space should I designate for all
>>                gentoo partitions ?
>>

> Really depends on the system, what it's going to be doing, the size of the
> drives available.
>
> Generally speaking, here's what I have for my Gentoo system:

> /dev/hda6             2.7G  833M  1.8G  33% /
> /dev/hda2             3.8G  2.3G  1.5G  61% /usr
> /dev/hda3             1.9G  1.4G  369M  80% /var
> /dev/hdc4              23G   22G  227M  99% /home
>
> That's a machine that's been running as a server for a while without
> really being watched.  Note that my /home partition is on a separate disc,
> so that's really down to you.
>
> Generally I'd say:
> 2   GB for /
> 4-6 GB for /usr
> 2-5 GB for /var (I've found this can fill up rather quick)
>
> Not to forget /boot which should be on a separate partion, this can be in
> the regions of 16MB.
>
> Go by the Gentoo Handbook for more general advice on this, it's a while
> since I've installed.
>
> Anyone please feel free to build on this.

Yes, Gentoo can eat disk space if you're not careful.  I ran (and
loved Gentoo) for over two years, but be wary of it filling up /var
and /usr/portage.

If you're vigilant you can probably get away with the suggested
amounts, but if you have the space I'd allocate a fair bit more for
both /var and /usr.  Downloading and compiling all that source eats up
disk, and whilst you can always safely remove the files, sometimes
it's just an extra thing to worry about.

R.