[dundee] Be wary of Chrome's EULA (Was Re: Google browser...and technical presentation)

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 09:39:35 UTC 2008

Be wary of Chrome's EULA, which seems to give them an open license to
invade your privacy and use content they acquire (though I'm sure in
practice they'll exercise some caution). Here's the passage:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a
perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive
license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly
perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit,
post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the
sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the
services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the
additional terms of those services."

In using Chrome you grant Google these and additional rights which you
can read about here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10030522-2.html

If you like Chrome and care about such things then you'll be able to
circumvent the EULA by downloading the BSD licensed code and compiling
and building it yourself.  The EULA can only be applied to the binary
(and services) that Google provide.

Alternatively you could wait for someone else to do this and
distribute a EULA free binary.

R.