[dundee] A newbee without a scooby :O)

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 11:26:50 UTC 2008

Hi Graeme, welcome to the list.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM, STEVENS, GRAEME
<986100930 at abertay.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hello
> As a newbee to Linux this is likely to not be the last question I ask. Im
> sure though Ill end up slapping my forehead at the obvious answers I just
> couldn't find.
>

> Problem 1. I have ubuntu on a Toshiba Laptop and have tried in vain to get
> the wireless working on it, Ive been using the correct SSID and WEP key but
> it just wont connect, except via ethernet. Any ideas?

 this could be a number of things. i'm not sure about this. i had problems
with the default network manager. ( mainly cos i couled not be bothered
figurine it out.)
I tend to use a diffrent network manager called WICD [
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php ]. Which i think should be the
default network manager.

> Problem 2. Was downloading virtual box for linux and got an error -
> "dependency not satisyable libqt4-core". Presumably this is something on the
> laptop that doesnt have an open source code equivalent or something? But is
> there a way to solve this.

    you can install this package from the ubuntu repositorys.
    so open Aplications -> Terminal

> Many Thanks
>

> Graeme Stevens
> MSc Ethical Hacking and Computer Security
> University of Abertay Dundee

" Due to the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound people
often look bright until they speak"