[dundee] OpenWRT on a Linksys WAG354G

jamie linux at riach.eu
Sun Sep 28 22:20:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 16:43 +0000, dundee-request at lists.lug.org.uk Rick
wrote:
Rick Moynihan:

> So yeah, I've babbled far too much again... meh, summary?
> 1) Would like to know if it's "safe" to use rsync(/git) on OpenWRT.
> 2) same as above but with CVS (still using the PS2s this year)
> 3) Are there any better suggestions than possibly burning out the
> router?
> 4) Can anyone lend a hand with the OpenWRT at all?

I have some wag354v2 routers with a hacked(Nuptune/Cyberstorm) kernel
giving serial or ssh access. I tried and tried openwrt but the TI
wireless drivers wouldn't give in and the forum also had limited
success. If you want a spare router while you fry your original i can
give you up to three and one brick.
Unison has quite a bit more functionality that is not advertised, this
was covered in the linux magazine apprx five months ago. Unison allows
you to run scripts either generic or custom to each DBUS connection
event allowing you to decide what and where data ends up, biggest hassle
is permissions and security.It is certainly scriptable to tee to or
update to/from a repository. A problem all programs would have is the
precidence of the data ie which is the important version, it might not
always be safe to use the file date from multiple devices.
I am not a IT professional just a tinkerer and would feel embarrassed
holding back those with more insight. I played with openwrt mostly with
a Buffalo router that I still have and could make available. It is
already flashed and can be upgraded with PKG's the embedded equivalent
of debs. The neptune /wag firmware allows rewriting the forwarding rules
which would be another avenue to success.
 Openwrt has a steep learning curve, even steeper if it is not a
wrt-54XX being developed. Positively mountainous if it is something the
developers have tried and not got far with like the wag354.