[dundee] Laptop without the obvious TAX

Marcel Hecko marcel at shmu.org.uk
Fri Aug 7 18:43:43 UTC 2009

I believe this is not applicable in EU - in USA maybe - anybody knows more
about this issue? Im curious myself - I do have a slightly more expensive
laptop - the X60s - but is has been a long time ago it have seen a Windows
logo.

Marcel

<quote who="gordon dunlop">
> 2009/8/7 Mark <burtiebob at yahoo.com>
>
>> Thanks for the feedback, I looked at the Dell option knowing they did
>> sell
>> a Ubuntu laptop - unfortunately the only option is the 10" netbook
>> (although
>> others are available on the US site).
>>
>> Anyone want a Windows 7 license???
>>

> I don't know a lot about laptops but I do remember reading an article some
> time ago where a person bought a laptop with a good discount that negated
> the Window tax and he wiped the hard disk and installed Linux. About six
> months later (something like that) a hardware problem developed and when
> he
> took it back the computer supplier said that the warranty was now invalid
> because Windows was not present on the machine which was part of the
> warranty conditions. I should have looked up the database on the website
> because I think this situation was discussed before in previous posts,
> whether this just applies to particular companies I do not know. Maybe
> somebody else that has a bit more knowledge on this topic can clarify
> things
> a bit to everyone.
>
> Gordon

please reply to
marcel at shmu.org.uk

Marcel Hecko
Connected SHMU Development Worker
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 487174

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live at www.shmufm.net

This message is not intended to have contractual effect