[dundee] Laptop without the obvious TAX

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 8 09:45:46 UTC 2009

2009/8/7 Marcel Hecko <marcel at shmu.org.uk>

> I believe this is not applicable in EU - in USA maybe - anybody knows more
> about this issue? Im curious myself - I do have a slightly more expensive
> laptop - the X60s - but is has been a long time ago it have seen a Windows
> logo.

I couldn't find the article that I was looking for but I found some others
implying that some computer manufacturers can void the warranty if
unsupported software is installed.

See under the headline Note well: a relatively new development has come to
light (This is a U.K. site)

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Warrant.htm

An old article about Dell, Vista & Linux:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/dell_vista_raid/

A  Yahoo question from a consumer in the U.S.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080427130344AAUWCP4

If this is the case, where extra conditions can be imposed on the warranty
by some companies when installing Linux, I think it is best to check from
whom you are buying from first.

Gordon