[dundee] TayLUG Mail Archives

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 24 10:22:58 UTC 2009

I had an incident where a recent subscriber had a suspicious email address
and on investigation found that there was a strong possibility that this
person could be a spammer as he was joining up on various U.S. LUG email
lists (certainly exhibiting suspicious activity) so I blocked that email
address.

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/I9O5CeqRI4D3hghJJfGQ

Last night on the LUGMaster list another U.K. LUG reported this email
address subscribing to his list and I reported back my findings so that all
the other LUGS can check if he had subscribed to their mailing list. At
present our mail archives, including email addresses, are fully open to the
public. The Lurker database on the TayLUG website, which gets updated
monthly, has been set to show no email addresses therefore it is safe from
spammers. Other LUGs have their mail archives set to be read by members only
in order not to give out email addresses. I want to go through the
democratic process in asking our list members whether we should keep our
mail archives fully accessible and open to the public, including email
addresses or change it to members only. I will only make a change if there
is a clear majority wanting this change.

Gordon
TayLUG Administrator