[dundee] Website Meeting

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:18:01 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Would it not be better to have this meeting at the normal meeting
times?  To allow suggestions & debate with those who are not students,
yet still participants within this community?

If not, is it possible to consider running the whole site off a wiki
installation?  I advised against the drupal/website installation last
year:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/dundee/2008-February/003554.html

on the grounds that it's structurally too formal for an adhoc group of
people, and that I believed a wiki would be more suited.

Obviously this is a social-problem more than it is a technology one,
but I think a wiki would engender more innovative uses, allowing a
mixture of different types of content.  e.g. After/before a talk, we
can more easily collectively assemble additional resources around that
topic area.  We can recategorise things, providing a less-linear
structure to the information we have.  Plus it's a lot easier to
contribute miscelaneous snippets of information/configurations etc to
a wiki.

I also believe one of the social-problem's surrounding the existing
site, is that it was strongly pushed as an online forum.... Yet we
already have one - the taylug mailing list!  I personally don't think
that the website should attempt to compete with the mailing list, as
it risks fracturing the community, leads to confusion about where to
post, and is unlikely to be adopted wholesale by the community using
this mailing list.

Also a wiki is better suited to the snippets of information we have on
the site at the moment.  In a drupal installation these snippets get
lost in the surrounding heavy-weight structure/navigation.

Anyway, I just wanted to chip in some thoughts for consideration if I
don't get to participate in your meeting.  It's just a suggestion for
those willing to try a new direction

For the record, I don't mean to criticise the work done on the
existing site.  The reasons for the relatively low level of adoption
are without a doubt non-technical.

R.