[dundee] Website Meeting

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:51:32 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com>:
> I'm happy with anything so long as it doesn't involve me. That said
> the problem with a wiki as I see it, is its more of a community tool,
> a supplement to an existing site. It fails when it comes to things
> like PR and easing in potential or new users and I can imagine
> internal monologues screaming "oh fuck not another wiki"

Care to elaborate on why you think a wiki fails in terms of PR and
'easing in new users'?  How would an alternative be better?  What do
you mean by PR?  Do you mean pretty web-pages?

I'm not claiming that a wiki is anywhere near perfect, but given
everyone's time commitments I believe it's a good way to develop the
resources we require in an adhoc manner.

Bear in my mind my suggestion is *not* simply to use a wiki, it is to
use a wiki in combination with a discussion system; for which I'd
propose the existing mailing-list.  New users rarely participate until
they understand the community, or have an immediate need to ask or
inform the community of something.  A wiki provides a great way for us
to assemble resources for new and existing members, and direct them
into the appropriate channels.

A blog *may* be worth consideration, but only at the right point in
time, and only if the commitment is there to keep it up to date with
fresh content...  The community should focus on developing one thing
well, rather than many things poorly.

R.