[dundee] ELF yourself encryption

lug at seany.us lug at seany.us
Fri Jun 19 15:13:19 UTC 2009

I totally agree, software raid is so flexible. I too was stung by the failed controller meaning dataloss.

Linux md raid 1 has about 1% CPU overhead and you can manage it directly via the commandline (no messing around with stupid BIOS screens). With CPU speeds these days software raid can easily compete with hardware raid.

Hardware raid is only really nessesary if you are running something other than RAID1, such as RAID5.

Of course with most hardware raid solutions you do have the benefit of battery backup on the cache at least.

Regards,
Sean McRobbie