[dundee] ELF yourself encryption

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Jun 19 16:06:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:13:12 +0100 (BST), lug at seany.us wrote:

> I totally agree, software raid is so flexible. I too was stung by the
> failed controller meaning dataloss.
>
> Linux md raid 1 has about 1% CPU overhead and you can manage it
> directly via the commandline (no messing around with stupid BIOS
> screens). With CPU speeds these days software raid can easily compete
> with hardware raid.
>
> Hardware raid is only really nessesary if you are running something
> other than RAID1, such as RAID5.

Well, software RAID 5 is OK. Got a 2.3TB software RAID 5 here utilizing
8 disks, (2 are hot spares). CPU's are fast and multiple ;)

Then there's the Intel I/OAT stuff for offloading some of the RAID
operations..

Personally I would never use hardware RAID given the choice.

> Of course with most hardware raid solutions you do have the benefit
> of battery backup on the cache at least.

I'm pretty sure that the 3Ware card we've git, if it had a battery,
that would work fine even though the disks are configured as a JBOD.
The machine is on a UPS of course.

Andrew