[dundee] ELF yourself encryption

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Jun 19 19:45:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:31:13 +0100 (BST), lug at seany.us wrote:

> Hi, I never posted that e-mail to the LUG. Is someone spoofing my
> address? In a related note, Have I done bottom posting correctly? My
> webmail only has "top posting" so I'm not sure how to do it

Just move the cursor to the bottom of the message and start your
reply. Which is what I guess you did here. Decent mail clients should
do this for you.

> otherwise. Never realised it made any differences :(

Oh yeah, it makes a HUGE difference.

Here's a couple of useful links.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Of course it's quite normal and correct to intersperse your reply with
what your replying to.

I'd done this with a customer. Sometime later I got word back that my
mail had been all corrupted with my message mangled in with theirs. It
soon dawned on me what they had witnessed, or actually never witnessed
before. Amazing!.

The other good thing to do is snip out irrelevant bits from the message
your replying to, a good example here is the mailing signatures put on
the end of every email. You'll notice your reply had a few of them
within.

Cheers,

Andrew