[dundee] Acer Aspire One

lug at seany.us lug at seany.us
Thu Jun 25 15:20:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

Not quite a netbook but almost there... I have a fairly old Sony Vaio in my hands that I need to get rid of because I need the space.

- 1ghz P3 mobile
- 256mb RAM
- 6gb, 40gb or no hdd - you choose!
- Docking station for DVD/CD-RW + Floppy (best discarded and using USB drives or wifi as the DVD drive is pretty rubbish)
- Tested with Ubuntu & Debian Lenny. Comes with XP pro sticker on bottom.

All it needs is a new power brick ~£13 and it should be good to go. Haven't tested the battery recently but feel free to see and try the device to find out if its suitable for you. Add £35 for a brand new battery from eBay if you wish:

"SONY VAIO 19.5V 4.1A PCGA-AC19V3 AC ADAPTOR CHARGER UK" on eBay - £12.35
"2600mAh Battery for SONY PCGA-BP2R PCG-R505 PCGA-BPZ52" on eBay - £35

Only problems with it I'd say are it isn't in the best condition cosmetics wise and the wifi card is only 802.11b (11mbps). I sucessfully upgraded the 2nd of these laptops (I have two) to a dual band a/b/g intel card.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Sean McRobbie