[dundee] Thursday's Linux Meeting

Arron Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Wed May 6 08:55:45 UTC 2009

Howdie Guys,

Well as i said at the last couple of meetings, we have no speakers so
you guys are stuck with me.  Not to worry though, i have a talk
planned, fingers crossed you'll like it.

I wanted to do something that wasn't going to take a ton of time away
from my coursework, and something i thought people may
like/appreciate/interested about.  So for me it feels a bit like
cheating but i'm going to talk about podcasting.

As i have developed the title Media Tart/Whore over the years, most of
you know one of my side hobbies is producing podcasts.  I'm going to
talk about my experience in it, what i have learned, what i hate about
it, and some tips and tricks i've picked up along the way.  I'm also
going to give a crash course on how to record, mix and upload a
podcast to HackerPublicRadio.Org.

Even if you never record a podcast, i hope that you will find it of
some interest.  It maybe a handy medium for your projects to be able
to develop audio guides, and it may make you appreciate the hard work
that podcasters all over the world put in, to give listeners episodes
upon episodes of content they want, on things they want.

My talk will not be a commercial howto, my talk will solely focus on
free tools (it is because i only use free and open source tools due to
the "hacker in their bedroom" budget i have).  Fingers crossed you'll
be left with the tools to be able to make the media you want, and meet
a worldwide audience interested in the same things as you.

Due to the Cinema having a previous booking we will not be starting
the meeting until 7.30, so please everyone remember no point being
there for 7 (for some of us it will mean leaving half an hour later,
and for some of us it will be things as normal, as time and linux seem
to have a strange relationship)

So here's the blurb pass it about if you want, post it on sites, twit
it if you like, or just ignore it.  The event is open to everyone, so
if you know someone that may find this of interest then let them know
or better yet bring them with you.

Linux Society Meeting

Thursday 7th May 2009

Podcasting, by finux.

7.30 Hannah Mclure Centre (Cinema)
Students Association Building,
Bell Street
Dundee

A talk on how everyone can record and produce their very own podcast
on a "credit crunching" budget of nothing or next to nothing.  No
previous experience required, and every one can give it ago.

Finux is a monthly correspondent for HackerPublicRadio.Org podcast,
and has recorded numbers of segments for other shows.  Finux will talk
about his experiences gained the easy and hard way, and will also give
a short crash course on actually recording and uploading an episode to
HackerPublicRadio.Org, however Finux will talk about other options of
getting your podcast out there.

Its free for everyone, and all are welcome.  The techniques involved
are free to use on every main computer platform, Windows, Linux, Mac
so no one should feel left out.

This talk is bound to become a HackerPublicRadio.Org Episode, recorded
on location so why not get your questions, ideas and voice aired to
the HPR audience.

http://thelinuxsociety.org.uk/content/podcasting-by-finux