[dundee] OLPC is now going ARM

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:57:08 UTC 2009

2009/11/4 christopher wyllie <cgwyllie at googlemail.com>:
> That ARM set of chips look brilliant! I like the way the guy being
> interviewed is really calm and dismissive of Intel :P

Yeah ARM is looking like it has an increasingly rosy future...  But
then they've always been a runaway success (without anyone really
knowing)...  They're supposed to be shiping 90 chips every second and
expect to sell an estimated 2.8billion ARM processors in 2009 alone.
In contrast it took Intel 25 years before it had sold a billion x86
chips... So in terms of units sold the ARM architecture is way ahead
already (just not in market cap - as they avoid fabrication and direct
sales)  See this article for more info:

http://www.infoworld.com/print/97762

For more ARM awesomeness check out the SheevaPlug... a PC that fits in
a plug socket!!!

http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp

Cool to see OLPC ditching intel...  Especially after intel shafted
them...  Still, not convinced by the whole OLPC 1.75... Though the
XO-2 (now XO-3), is definitely the one of the greatest pieces of
conceptual industrial design I've seen...  It's clearly also already
heavily influenced Microsoft with the courier too.

R.