[dundee] Free Distributions

Huntly Cameron huntly.cameron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:04:04 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com>:
> For the past year or so I've been tempted to try a free as in GNU
> endorsed distribution. I'm thinking gNewSense but there are others.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience about doing something
> similar - http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>
> Kris

Hey Kris,

I tried out gNewSense last year and got on OK with it.  Its basically
ubuntu with the non-Free stuff removed and so is easy to get to grips
with.  Flash was the only thing I really missed and the Free
alternatives didn't work well for me so I eventually ditched it and
went back to ubuntu.  But I suppose it really depends on what you want
to use it for: if its just programming then you will be fine.  The
mailing list for gNewSense is pretty good with lots of friendly people
on it.  Its worth at least trying it out in a VM to see what you make
of it and to make sure it will do everything you want it to do before
committing on a proper install.

They also have this build system that I didn't look too much into, but
basically allows you to re-spin the distro I think.

Good luck if you do decide to try it!

Cheers,

Huntly Cameron
e: huntly.cameron at gmail.com