[dundee] Fwd: Mozilla Jetpack for Learning Design Challenge

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:25:54 UTC 2009

This is an email I received from the Mozilla Education Initiative about a
learning Design Challenge for students. It is part of the TOS (Teaching Open
Source) initiative which started this year and is sponsored by Red
Hat/Fedora and includes organisations such as Google, Gnome, Mozilla etc.
The aim is to bring together open source developers and Computer/IT
students, especially in the area of honour degree projects, where a student
can do an honour's degree project working with open source developers ( why
do a mundane project when you can do something that gets you kudos). This
initiative has only been going for six months so things are at the early
stages, a FOSS on-line manual for students is in the process of being
written. I am acting as the main contact for students in the Tayside Region
(I think I'm the only one from Scotland in TOS at the moment) and will I be
making inquiries regarding the various projects and if any sponsorship money
for students is available. Due to the majority of students studying Ethical
Hacking and Countermeasures, I will probably pursue my line of inquiry on
Computer Security, Dave Humphrey of Seneca College is involved with Digital
Forensics so I should get valuable information from him. If anyone has
suggestions or a particular query that I should chase drop me a line off
list.

Gordon