[dundee] Patents,License Violations & SAP

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:37:22 UTC 2009

Maybe its just the weather, but there has been a lot going legally this week
in IT, maybe next week it will be something different so I will post the
most interesting articles.

An analysis of the what the justices said during the Bilski case:

http://news.swpat.org/2009/11/bilski-hearing-software-patents/

Don't laugh, but Microsoft has patented Sudo (according to their patent
definition) in 2005 (I think at least 20 years too late):

Microsoft were also in trouble this week as they had to pull their Windows 7
tool out of circulation amid claims that they violated the GPL by using open
source code and claiming it is theirs (stealing free software again):

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/11/microsoft-pulls-windows-7-tool-after-gpl-violation-claims.ars

SAP, Java & Hypocrisy:

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-sap-is-sap.html

The EU's new Telecom Regulations now protects UK surfer's rights in that a
user that is a file-sharer cannot be disconnected without a court order.
This refers to the "3 strikes" rule that the UK was trying to bring out. The
EU used some common sense pointing out the fact that unauthorised Wi-Fi
hijackers could use people's broadband connections for criminal purposes. I
add further that lots of computers (Windows machines) can come under the
control of botnets whereby third parties can use innocent users machines for
criminal purposes without their knowledge. This means guilt must be proven:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/353245/talktalk-eu-laws-protect-uk-surfers-rights