[dundee] No sound in Ubuntu

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:12:56 UTC 2009

First if you need more hands on help, bring the laptops to the meetings.

Apologies if I sound patronising at any point and if you want more
step by step instructions at any point set me know, Okay I'll take a
stab at this, both of you:

* What version of Ubuntu/Linux mint are you running?
* Can you both provide the output of lspci | grep -i audio
* Can you check alsamixer or the advanced/mixer settings to make sure
a particular channel isn't muted
* Can you both do an update and upgrade with apt/aptitude/synaptic
(sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade) whatever.

Paul: Can you edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (gksudo gedit
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf) and add these three lines to the
bottom

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-2
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5

Save, restart and test sound, in addition to how you would normally
test it tried http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7946410

Kris