[dundee] laptop mode power saving

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 21:40:57 UTC 2009

yep, i've been down that route, powertop is going pretty well, however the way firefox
is written , it wakes my machine up a lot, even if it's not displaying any pages, and not being used, so that's a major bummer..

hdparm, i've currently disabled spin down, if i'm running just in text mode, no X and n gnome i can get the disk to spin down almost indefinity (if i dont read an area disk not in cache, which is pretty cool. however, gnome seems to do lots a fsync's, which wakes
my disk up around every 40 seconds.....

so, it's either

forget about disk spin down.
destroy gnome or rewrite gnome app's not to fsync all the bloody time.

now, you may think,  well i am being a bit crazy to want to run without a harddisk, however
think about a SSD, were writes are bad news.... anything the can batch read's and writes together is got to be a godd thing.

when i see the powermangement issues that linux is having, i really see the unix way
of doing things might be slighty out of date. I don't think unix was designed with
power saving in mind..... there's been progress, however, i've got a feeling if i went
head to head with a windows machine on battery life, windows would come up
trumps.....arrrgghh..i hate saying that.

maybe other laptop users could post thier powertop setting, or in fact if anyone
has got laptop mode working with a graphical enviroment.