[dundee] GNOME Census - Who Writes GNOME & the start of a Flame War

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 21:12:22 UTC 2010

To prevent from being interpreted as a fanboy I preface this by saying
I prefer Debian, I try Ubuntu every release and I personally think
they started going wrong after Gutsy.

Now I realise Tso basically invented Ext4 but that's kind of an
asshole comment to make, and I'm not sure how much of it is related
to:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781 and
http://lwn.net/Articles/322823/ where he basically tried to avoid
fixing something but then had to.

I see nothing wrong with what Kees Cook did, even if he is employed by
Canonical. He has responded with his reasoning
http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/2010/05/17/yay-for-barriers/

I feel there's a certain anti-Ubuntu and Canonical vibe in the wider
FLOSS community. They both make bad decisions and do things wrong in
my opinion but the sneering responses I've seen on blogs and comments
really aren't the way to go. The Kernel team in particular seem to
dislike Ubuntu/Canonical. I think since they've tried and failed in
the past they've just let go of trying to get some things adopted
upstream.

Kris