[dundee] SFD Update

Arron M Finnon finux at finux.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 11:49:18 UTC 2010

TOP POSTING ROCKS
--
Arron "finux" Finnon

www.finux.co.uk - www.twitter.com/f1nux - www.facebook.com/finux

PGP: http://finux.co.uk/finux.asc

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 12:34 +0100, Nicholas Walker wrote:
> Hey guys, sorry it's a couple of days late, I've had a hectic weekend.
>
> Here's the list of talks I have, in no particular order.
>

> What is Free Software and why is it important? - Nick
> Language support in FOSS - Roddy
> Open Source Software for Students - Chris
> Android and Embedded Linux - Kris
> Open Source Security - Arron
> Open Street Map - Axel
> Blender - Gary (not sure if he can attend, emailed for confirmation)
> Technical talk - Arron

What tech talk is required by you guys, i could break with traditional
and do something security related - :p - Or i could talk about my other
hate, errr i mean love honest.  VoIP.  Something for the home users i
would suggest, VoIP is a nice subject, saying that anything hacking
related i could probably do though, so if there is something you want to
know about pawning your neighbours wireless (full of mistakes today, i
mean your test network) then that's cool too, or freak tunnels or
summin.  Maybe i could come with two for this and we could take a vote
on the day or something.

> Technical talk - Nick/Werner
> Aldrine - Possible talk over skype. Emailed to confirm.
>

> Here are the Demo's I have:
>
> Open Source Gaming - Me
> Linux Development using mono et al.
> Ubuntu Studio - Paul Lancaster
> Virtual Machines - Gordon
> (Could do with a couple more, any takers?)

Depending on many factors such as DMZ playing nice, or some weird and
wonderful transparent proxy or summin i could probably deploy a VoIP
Virtual Server with some added extras, like Skype integration and Google
Voice (say we want to prank call someone in the states or Canada)

Nick may i make the suggestion of deploying maybe NetInfinety and
BackTrack for the hackers in attendance (which lets be honest in Uni
terms they get head hunted the hardest)

> As far as Advertisement is concerned, I'm printing reams of Axels and
> Gary's posters off, and also asking the HMC to advertise within their
> own circles.
>
> As demo'd at the last meeting, We will be receiving our USB pens this
> week some time, so they're ready to go as a viable income resource for
> the society. Paul's Kindly burnt a tonne of CD's and I'll be burning
> some myself, If there's anyone that has a bit of spare time to burn
> some disks the society will be happy to provide CD-R's ( just let me
> know, and I'll get them to you)
>
> I'm Chasing up T-Shirts this week, But it looks like we'll have to
> make our own, as the SFD team didnt have funding to make them this
> year.

Plenty of XXXL you don't have to be big to run Linux but it helps :)

> Anything I've missed or that there are Questions about, please contact
> me on this thread (no top posting please....jk ;) )
Mailing list fascist

> It would also be nice if a couple of guys could offer their services
> as Backup Talks, as we did lose two on the day last year.
The young padawan has learned well