[dundee] Various names of the degree classification

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:09:22 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 12:36, Axel <newsletter at axelbor.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I get a vacancies notify form the Scottish Water via the University.
> They write "Skills and Qualifications: Minimum of 2:1 degree" Means that
> minimum qualification is Bachelor of Science with Second Class Honours (1st
> Division)?
>
> On my certificate from the Abertay is written down "Bachelor of Science with
> Second Class Honours (1st Division)" on the Academic Transcript is written
> "Classification: Upper Second Class". I guess this means the same.

Yes, all variants are equivalant a 2:1 is a second class (1st
division).  In common use people say they have a

"2:1 (two one) Honours degree in XXXXX" ... the other expressions are
(IMHO) largly academic pompery (i.e. ways of making it sound more
formal/illustrious/elaborate).

On a CV or application I'd just write "Bsc Honours Degree XXXXX (2:1)"

> Can I also say that I've a average grade B or very good, or is there a different?

Not sure that's relevant...  Or, rather it's unclear to an employer
what that means (and if it's even relevant) as having a 2:1 implies
you met the standard.

If you're trying to say you narrowly missed a 1st class degree, rather
than just scrapped a 2:1; then you might want to put something like
"High 2:1" to try and suggest that... A self made distinction such as
that doesn't officially mean anything (as a "high 2:1" is still just a
2:1 and is on paper the same as a "low 2:1") but it *might* make your
CV seem a tiny bit more impressive...  though with things like that
there is a small danger that it might piss the recruiter off... though
personally I think the odds of that are slim.

Anyway, that's my personal view...

R.