[dundee] Boot managers

Huntly Cameron huntly.cameron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:51:04 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 12:50, gordon dunlop <zubenel at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 16 July 2010 11:30, Huntly Cameron <huntly.cameron at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> From a recent email sent to this list by Gordon regarding a fix for an
>> issue he had with GAG, I was wondering what benefits you would get by
>> using a third party boot manager such as GAG compared to sticking with
>> the standard GRUB thats installed with most distros?  I've found that
>> when I've been installing different distros, each one will find other
>> linux installs and add them to GRUB for me and even if I've got
>> windows installed, it finds that and sets it up correctly.
>>
> All the O.S's can be booted independently of one another so that there is no
> partition reliance in case of crashes or partition OS upgrade going horribly
> wrong. It is easy to set up password protection for some of your OS's and
> keep others open. I have a lot of partitions where some are used for testing
> purposes where adding or removing systems does not require editing of grub
> configuration files. I also sometimes do partition re-arranging where the
> boot loading is unaffected or only minor modifications is required for
> individual partitions. It is also easy to remove GAG from the  MBR if
> required.
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p12.html
Thanks for the info Gordon, going to give it a go on my desktop.
Sounds like a great idea as much like yourself I'm always testing out
new distros.  I also like the idea of password protection (although I
*think* grub can do it, never looked into it properly) and the having
the boot loader separate from the OS sounds like a great idea as I've
lost count of the number of times I've had to fire up a live cd to
reinstall grub :-)