[dundee] Boot managers

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 16 11:50:31 UTC 2010

On 16 July 2010 11:30, Huntly Cameron <huntly.cameron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> From a recent email sent to this list by Gordon regarding a fix for an
> issue he had with GAG, I was wondering what benefits you would get by
> using a third party boot manager such as GAG compared to sticking with
> the standard GRUB thats installed with most distros?  I've found that
> when I've been installing different distros, each one will find other
> linux installs and add them to GRUB for me and even if I've got
> windows installed, it finds that and sets it up correctly.
>
> All the O.S's can be booted independently of one another so that there is
no partition reliance in case of crashes or partition OS upgrade going
horribly wrong. It is easy to set up password protection for some of your
OS's and keep others open. I have a lot of partitions where some are used
for testing purposes where adding or removing systems does not require
editing of grub configuration files. I also sometimes do partition
re-arranging where the boot loading is unaffected or only minor
modifications is required for individual partitions. It is also easy to
remove GAG from the  MBR if required.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p12.html<http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherman546/p12.html>

Gordon