[dundee] Linux Laptop any recommendations?

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:30:07 UTC 2010

Has anyone bought a laptop (not netbook) that they've put Linux on recently?

Would you recommend it?

Did you have any problems with the graphics, usb, wireless etc...?

I need a quick decision on what to get... any known hardware to avoid?
 I'll almost certainly throw Ubuntu on it, to get up and running
quick.

Preferably must have a 13.3" - 14" screen, a good keyboard, with a
decent layout (i.e. non mac).  Couple of gig of RAM or more,
reasonably nippy... though doesn't need to be a desktop replacement.
Must be pretty good for software development, i.e. multi-tasking,
firefox lots of tabs + development environment with solid wireless
etc...  Nothing too big, bulky or heavy, but it doesn't have to be
especially tiny.

I've not really been following hardware & (Linux support) recently for
the past few years...  so recommendations are appreciated.  I've
always fancied a lenovo, but I hear Dell (despite being a bit cheap
and nasty) often have a good bang per buck, and tend to be linux
friendly.

Advice appreciated!

R.