[dundee] Linux Laptop any recommendations?

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 16:53:22 UTC 2010

Rick Moynihan wrote:
> Has anyone bought a laptop (not netbook) that they've put Linux on recently?
>
> Would you recommend it?
>
> Did you have any problems with the graphics, usb, wireless etc...?
>
> I need a quick decision on what to get... any known hardware to avoid?
>  I'll almost certainly throw Ubuntu on it, to get up and running
> quick.
>
> Preferably must have a 13.3" - 14" screen, a good keyboard, with a
> decent layout (i.e. non mac).  Couple of gig of RAM or more,
> reasonably nippy... though doesn't need to be a desktop replacement.
> Must be pretty good for software development, i.e. multi-tasking,
> firefox lots of tabs + development environment with solid wireless
> etc...  Nothing too big, bulky or heavy, but it doesn't have to be
> especially tiny.
>
> I've not really been following hardware & (Linux support) recently for
> the past few years...  so recommendations are appreciated.  I've
> always fancied a lenovo, but I hear Dell (despite being a bit cheap
> and nasty) often have a good bang per buck, and tend to be linux
> friendly.

Dells are normally fine - have a couple of year old Inspiron with
Ubuntu on it fine. Have lost the wireless on a couple of occasions
when I upgraded distro rather than fresh installed (non-free driver).
More recently (6 months ago) Dell desktop (I know, not what you are
interested in) shipped with a Gigabit ethernet controller that isn't
yet supported. 64 bit can still be a bit of an issue, so suggest
resist any temptation to move beyond 4Gb RAM!

I've been tempted by Lenovo in the past, but Dells are better bang for
buck.

Acer Aspire One Pro netbook is fabby!

--

Cheers

Colin

Rev Colin Brough
Minister
Fintry Parish Church of Scotland, Dundee
Scottish Charity Number: SC020742

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk