[dundee] Linux Laptop any recommendations?

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:39:30 UTC 2010

Andrew Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:53:13 +0100, Colin Brough wrote:
>
>> Dells are normally fine - have a couple of year old Inspiron with
>> Ubuntu on it fine. Have lost the wireless on a couple of occasions
>> when I upgraded distro rather than fresh installed (non-free driver).
>> More recently (6 months ago) Dell desktop (I know, not what you are
>> interested in) shipped with a Gigabit ethernet controller that isn't
>> yet supported. 64 bit can still be a bit of an issue, so suggest
>
> Are you referring to Linux's 64bit support being an issue? Linux has
> been doing 64bit since about the mid 90's! (Alpha), IIRC It was also
> 64bit on the UltraSPARC before Solaris was.

No, its the stuff round the edges - actually installing 64 bit on my
new Dell was tricky (DVD worked for 32 bit install, but not 64 bit,
and install from a USB stick was somehow problematic, no idea why),
and then I've had minor hassles with consumer end stuff - notably
Flash...

> Long story short. If you have a 64bit machine, install a 64bit OS.
> Don't cripple the thing.

Absolutely! But there are still bits of software out there, or at
least packaged versions, that assume 32 bit and don't play nice on 64
bit... I got the impression from the OP that he was after minimising
hassle, hence the comments...

--

Cheers

Colin

Rev Colin Brough
Minister
Fintry Parish Church of Scotland, Dundee
Scottish Charity Number: SC020742

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk