[dundee] Linux Laptop any recommendations?

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Wed Jul 21 10:06:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:07:31 +0100, Colin Brough wrote:

> No, its the stuff round the edges - actually installing 64 bit on my
> new Dell was tricky (DVD worked for 32 bit install, but not 64 bit,
> and install from a USB stick was somehow problematic, no idea why),
> and then I've had minor hassles with consumer end stuff - notably
> Flash...

Heh, Flash is a disaster full stop. I cannot wait for it to die!

> > Long story short. If you have a 64bit machine, install a 64bit OS.
> > Don't cripple the thing.
>
> Absolutely! But there are still bits of software out there, or at
> least packaged versions, that assume 32 bit and don't play nice on 64
> bit... I got the impression from the OP that he was after minimising
> hassle, hence the comments...

Well, on Fedora at least, 32 and 64bit can play together nicely.

At work for example, even though our machines are 64bit installs. I had
to switch from the 64bit flash to the 32bit flash, when Adobe just
pulled the 64bit flash without fixing its numerous security problems.

Thanks to nspluginwrapper you can run 32bit plugins in your 64bit
browser.

Still, the day when there is no need to install Flash, just can't come
soon enough. Hmm, did I already mention that...

Out of about 1500 installed packages, which single thing is the most
buggy, trouble causing one of the lot? You guessed it, the _one_ closed
source proprietary app that I have installed.

Andrew