[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Wed Jun 9 11:16:27 UTC 2010

The receipt is proof of purchase, it's as simple as that. When shops say "no
refund given without proof of purchase" they mean a receipt, so they can't
have it both ways.

Now, the failsafe for a till going tits up might be to back out the
transaction, but in that case it should print off a "credit note" telling
you it had done that. It didn't in this case so as far as you know, the
goods are yours and you have a receipt to prove it.

So let's see what happens if you leave. They could try to stop you claiming
theft, but the common law definition of theft is to "feloniously appropriate
the property of another", well in this case the property is yours, you have
a receipt to prove it, so there can be no theft. If they try to stop you by
force, then it's assault. Simple as that.

What happens if they call the police? Well if it were me, I'd let you go and
tell the store it's a civil matter not a criminal matter and they'd have to
sue you for the goods or cost if they found out you'd not paid.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gary