[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

Axel newsletter at axelbor.de
Wed Jun 9 13:52:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

the PIN ACCEPTED just mean that the correct PIN was used. The Terminal
send the PIN to the card. The card verify the PIN and send a response.
TRUE  - if the PIN correct.
FALSE - and a number of attempts remain, before the card is unusable.

There should be a additional messages, that the payment was successful
on the Terminal display. However, I had just use the ATM in the UK.
Never a Terminal in a shop, but I would surprise is there a difference
to Germany.

Paying cash has several benefits:
(1) no technical problem
(2) no privacy violation
(3) no additional fees for the Banks

Axel

Quoting Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>:

> On 9 June 2010 12:16, Gary Short <gary at garyshort.org> wrote:
>> The receipt is proof of purchase, it's as simple as that. When shops say "no
>> refund given without proof of purchase" they mean a receipt, so they can't
>> have it both ways.
>
> Thats what I thought... but is there what legislation describes the
> legal nature of a receipt and its constitution?
>
>> Now, the failsafe for a till going tits up might be to back out the
>> transaction, but in that case it should print off a "credit note" telling
>> you it had done that. It didn't in this case so as far as you know, the
>> goods are yours and you have a receipt to prove it.
>
> Thats true... It didn't occur to me at the time, but I've always
> previously had printed confirmation that a transaction was voided.
>
>> So let's see what happens if you leave. They could try to stop you claiming
>> theft, but the common law definition of theft is to "feloniously appropriate
>> the property of another", well in this case the property is yours, you have
>> a receipt to prove it, so there can be no theft. If they try to stop you by
>> force, then it's assault. Simple as that.
>
> Yup, my logic entirely!
>
>> What happens if they call the police? Well if it were me, I'd let you go and
>> tell the store it's a civil matter not a criminal matter and they'd have to
>> sue you for the goods or cost if they found out you'd not paid.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Thats what I thought... maybe next time I'll have 'the pleasure' of
> taking it this far... though hopefully not.
>
> Cheers for the response.
>
> R.

>>> 21:35:30  £21.65 DENIED.PIN BYPASS