[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:57:27 UTC 2010

Well just to update you all, I went in to Tesco again this evening
with my mini statement, and asked if they still do double the
difference...  After being a little cagey with their answers it turns
out they do...  so I pulled out both receipts and bank statement and
explained what had happened...  After twenty minutes I walked away
with a little over £43 in cash... Twice what I'd overpaid!!  Though I
was required to surrender my receipts this wasn't too much of a
concern as the goods were mostly perishables... and I was basically
being given my shopping for free and the value of them!

So despite (probably) being within your rights to walk away, if it
happens to you at a major supermarket (at least Tesco or Asda's) it
might pay you to play the game.

My only regret?  That I hadn't also spent a couple of hundred pounds
on electrical goods!!!!

I have to say, despite the inconvenience the staff throughout were
very good.  Definitely far better than in almost all my other
experiences of purchasing disputes.... the only places I've found the
staff, returns policy and dispute processes to be as good or better
were with Asda and Richer Sounds.

2-0 to the the little guy!

R.