[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 9 18:05:06 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 13:21, Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously in any distributed system it is impossible to be 100% sure
> of the status of a transaction... (See the 2 generals problem for an
> explanation why).  I just wish they'd make their staff more aware of
> the fact that these systems can never be even close to infallible.
>
>  I remembered reading an article a few years ago about supermarket
databases, I recalled it from my own news article database. It was in 2006,
and was about  Wal-Mart and its store operations. It was stated that the
Wal-Mart database updates a billion rows a day or approximately 11,600 rows
a second ( a bit of trivia).

http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175801775

Gordon