[dundee] Dundee Mailing List

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 19 09:01:54 UTC 2011

On 19 April 2011 01:05, Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sympathise a lot with the desire for personal privacy; and find it a
> shame that in modern society one can easily become a hostage to
> Google, Facebook and perhaps a LUG mailing list - which might have
> captured embarassing or non-representative deeds online.
>
> This said the mailing list is a public forum, and one must acknowledge
> that posting here is a public record announcement, and a matter of the
> public record.  All too often people neglect these facts, and come to
> regret prior postings.  I am particularly concerned for children and
> adolescents today who will face a future where even their non-adult
> lives are open to scrutiny 20, 30, 50, 100 years hence.
>
> I can offer some advice in these situations:
>
> - Bury the 'bad content' by producing more relevant & insightful
> comments; which show you in a better light.
> - Always be cautious when hitting send.
> - It's probably nowhere near as bad as you think it is.
>
> I should point out that I have no idea what the post is; nor an
> inclining to find out... and that there may be other reasons to
> request deletion of a post.
>
>  Thanks for the feedback Rick, I agree with what you are saying. The post
itself is innocuous, the member joined Autumn 2010, and I got the impression
he did not realise it was a public mailing list. I will not be deleting it
but I will modify the "welcome message" for new subscribers which will
include the words "public mailing list" in it, so that new subscribers are
in no doubt that posts are open to the whole world.

Gordon