[dundee] Dundee Mailing List

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:14:18 UTC 2011

I sympathise a lot with the desire for personal privacy; and find it a
shame that in modern society one can easily become a hostage to
Google, Facebook and perhaps a LUG mailing list - which might have
captured embarassing or non-representative deeds online.

This said the mailing list is a public forum, and one must acknowledge
that posting here is a public record announcement, and a matter of the
public record.  All too often people neglect these facts, and come to
regret prior postings.  I am particularly concerned for children and
adolescents today who will face a future where even their non-adult
lives are open to scrutiny 20, 30, 50, 100 years hence.

I can offer some advice in these situations:

- Bury the 'bad content' by producing more relevant & insightful
comments; which show you in a better light.
- Always be cautious when hitting send.
- It's probably nowhere near as bad as you think it is.

I should point out that I have no idea what the post is; nor an
inclining to find out... and that there may be other reasons to
request deletion of a post.

I don't know what other members think, but I'd eer on the side of NOT
removing the post; unless there are exceptional circumstances ... e.g.
if the post accidentally contained personal bank details.  The reason
being, I'd hate to set a precedence for other requests; it's a mailing
list, it's public, and archived, behave accordingly.

This said, if you (Gordon) thought that the request was reasonable and
did warrant censoring; I'd have no astronomical objection to the post
being removed.

R.