[dundee] Abertay's Fresher's Week is the 11th-17th September

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Sun Jul 31 01:32:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 01:16:01AM +0100, azmodie wrote:
> I may be able to have a touchscreen linux box to burn cds or pxe install
> linux distros.
> would be cool if we could make a stand. but may be too short notice.
>
> eg . http://www.freedomtoaster.org.za/Build
>
> not much of a fabricator myself.

It wouldn't be too hard to make something.

I'm thinking:

Option 1: A frame with another leg hinged on the top to make an
easel type thing. Can then mount monitor and computer to that and cut
a sheet of hardboard to whatever shape you want for the fascia.

Option 2: Make something along the lines of a shelf unit out of MDF
and put a hardboard fascia onto that.

Option 1 would be lighter and collapsible so more portable, option 2
would be easier to build (though that counts against it in my opinion
(I haven't made anything physical for ages - I'd like something a bit
more complicated than screwing 4 bits of MDF together)). Can anyone
think of any other reasons to go for one or the other? Or offer other
designs?

I've probably got enough timber etc. lying around here to make either
of those. Would just need some dimensions for the kit that's to go in
it:
 + Height of the monitor
 + footprint of the PC
If it's a nicely cuboid monitor then the depth of it as well, if it's
one with a curved back (like all the ones I've got here) then it'll be
a pain to figure out which point we care about the depth at so
probably best to leave cutting the spacers for the fascia till we can
put it in and measure how big they need to be. Would also need to
check where the cable attach to the monitor and if that'll need space
made for it.

     Robert

Robert McWilliam            rmcw at allmail.net             www.ormiret.com

The real[1] Murphy's law: If there's more than one way to do something,
and one way will result in disaster, then someone will do it that way.

[1] Where real is defined as "The earliest source we've yet found for
the term".