[dundee] World IPv6 Day: security concerns

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 11:42:31 UTC 2011

On 8 June 2011 12:11, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:

> Hurrah! People mentioning some of the security implications of IPV6. I know
> when I looked at it, it scared the life out of me. It does tie in with the
> borderless computing gubbins, though, but how much do you trust manufacturers
> of hand-held kit / routers. Currently they tend to sell kit and then not
> support it (how many of you have had updates for your routers?)
>
> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2011/06/08/246903/World-IPv6-Day-Why-
> it-really-matters.htm

They are all valid concerns but for networking or any protocol in
general, most are actually caused by poor implementation or having a
crappy IT department. The security thing is just one of three
arguments people who are either too lazy or don't want to spend money
use, the others are spam and the fact it'll be complicated for the
average user.

I admit there are potential security problems, but no more so than
anything else.

I''m already resigned to the fact that most ISPs will probably use
Carrier-grade NAT, which