[dundee] World IPv6 Day: security concerns

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 11:58:11 UTC 2011

> On 8 June 2011 12:11, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hurrah! People mentioning some of the security implications of IPV6. I
> > know when I looked at it, it scared the life out of me. It does tie in
> > with the borderless computing gubbins, though, but how much do you trust
> > manufacturers of hand-held kit / routers. Currently they tend to sell kit
> > and then not support it (how many of you have had updates for your
> > routers?)
> >
> > http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2011/06/08/246903/World-IPv6-Day-W
> >hy- it-really-matters.htm
>
> They are all valid concerns but for networking or any protocol in
> general, most are actually caused by poor implementation or having a
> crappy IT department. The security thing is just one of three
> arguments people who are either too lazy or don't want to spend money
> use, the others are spam and the fact it'll be complicated for the
> average user.
>
> I admit there are potential security problems, but no more so than
> anything else.
>
> I''m already resigned to the fact that most ISPs will probably use
> Carrier-grade NAT, which

It doesn't seem to be a 1-granny solution, although IPV4 doesn't seem to be
for a lot of people either.
I just can't wait to have to say to a punter "would you try pinging
fe80::200:f8ff:fe21:67cf" instead of "192.168.0.6" or whatever.

Come to think of it

http://[3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf]:80/index.html

will be fun too.

--