[dundee] Ubuntu users needed to use and test masters project

Chris Wilson afrowildo at gmail.com
Thu May 5 00:56:50 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I’ve just started the project for my MSc course in Applied Computing and am
in need of some guinea pigs to help design and test it. I’m going to be
working on it between now and Monday 12th September, when my thesis is to be
submitted, and I’m going to be using the user-centred
design<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-centered_design> methodology
and will be looking for people to provide feedback regularly between now and
the submission deadline.

The project will be to implement a ’Continuous Client’, where the move from
one computing device to another is streamlined by saving your session on one
computer, syncing it to a location in the cloud, and restoring it on
another. Reader of Engadget will probably be familiar with this
concept<http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/26/a-modest-proposal-the-continuous-client/>.
I’m planning on building an open source version of this that will allow the
user to use Ubuntu One sync their session from one Ubuntu computer to
another, with Windows machines eventually being added to the mix. It’s not
going to cover every single application in the Software Centre, but it will
support a few of the default apps shipped with Ubuntu. In the beginning,
this will include LibreOffice writer, Firefox and Empathy, with the option
to expand to other LibreOffice apps if time permits.

I would really appreciate people’s participation in this project, and anyone
that wants to get involved can read the FAQ for
testers<http://continuousclientproject.org/testers>,
as well as the project <https://launchpad.net/continuousclientproject> and
on the team page will be the primary communication channel for the project
so participants should sign up to that.
If anyone has any questions regarding this, I’ll be happy to field them.
Chris