[dundee] SATA Controller Card Recommendations Anyone?

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Fri May 6 11:23:51 UTC 2011

Simon Wells <siwells at gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone recommend (ideally from personal experience), a good
> quality, inexpensive 4 port SATA controller card?

I'm using a Promise SATA300 TX4 PCI card for my md RAID5 array at
home. I bought it several years ago because at the time it was one of
the few 4-port cards with good Linux support that did TCQ/NCQ, but it's
Just Worked(tm) ever since.

On the mirrorservice.org backend machines, we use mostly Promise SATA150
TX4s, which handle the 24/7 random-access load quite happily. We also
have a few machines with multiple SiI 3112-based cards which are much
less reliable.

So if it's PCI you're after, I'd look on eBay for one of the Promise
cards second-hand...

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>