[dundee] BT cheerfully admits snooping on customer LANs

Peter McDonald coffear at btconnect.com
Wed May 25 18:41:49 UTC 2011

First time posting here but have been lurking a bit,

I currently work for BT in their tech support and to be honest that
feature does not seem overly reliable. Most information comes from the
Desktop help software BT was trying to get people to use (this was also
subject to another register post).

The sort of information that I have seen regarding people's pc's are
operating system, browser type and email client which of course is
helpful when carrying out diagnostics.

A bit of background. BT has the ability to get the current wep key from
the router and they do not do this as they believe it to be a security
risk. How I am going to connect to someone's wireless from a couple of
hundred miles away I do not know. If they won't give us something as
benign as this they certainly won't let us see any information that may
be gleaned from the desktop help.

Not trying to be biased but I do not think that it is used for anything
nefarious.