[dundee] BT cheerfully admits snooping on customer LANs

Stuart 'NxFifteen' Anderson root-theos at nxfifteen.com
Sun May 29 13:26:24 UTC 2011

Good afternoon everyone, I just wanted to give a quick shout out. Like Calum
I'm a new mailing list member. I have not quite made it too a meeting yet but
I'm hoping too soon.

> IF BT can get the key, then no doubt somebody with less honourable
> intentions can do the same.

get the `actual` current WiFi Key, or whether they are only getting the key
the was issued to the hub at time of shipping.

I too have worked for BT business broadband in the call centre and at the time
I was there, 2-4 years ago, I never had any knowledge of being able to get a
customers WiFi key. However I do remember from my experience with their
training literature the wording is such to assume a customer never changes
anything.

A prime example of what I mean is we were told as support agents we were able
to get the `current` make and model of a customers routers, but all we really
got was the make and model BT had last shipped the customer. Not what they
currently used.

As always, if you have been, thanks for reading
          Stuart 'NxFifteen' Anderson

 -- "It's when all the wheels come off you find out who you really are.
The problem with that is you almost always find out you were the driver!"