[dundee] BT cheerfully admits snooping on customer LANs

Peter McDonald coffear at btconnect.com
Sun May 29 21:56:05 UTC 2011

able to get the `actual` current WiFi Key, or whether they are only
getting the key the was issued to the hub at time of shipping.

>> I too have worked for BT business broadband in the call centre and at
the time I was there, 2-4 years ago, I never had any knowledge of being
able to get a customers WiFi key. However I do remember from my
experience with their training literature the wording is such to assume
a customer never changes anything.

The back end systems have the ability to get the current wireless
security key from what I have been told but this has been left out of
what we can see for "security reason". And yes of course it is only the
BT hub it can do this with. I assume this is part of the call back for
the heartbeat (the feature that is meant to get the router to configure
the username and password itself but has caused a lot of issues).

>> A prime example of what I mean is we were told as support agents we
were able to get the `current` make and model of a customers routers,
but all we really got was the make and model BT had last shipped the
customer. Not what they currently used.

That is all resolve shows, the last router sent by North Allerton and
this depends on whether it has been scanned correctly I believe.