[dundee] PCI slots

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 31 21:11:33 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 15:04, Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey folks
>
> OK, so following the earlier thread I got the HP Proliant microserver.
> And a second LAN port on a PCI card.
>
> Have clearly not bought enough hardware in the last few years, and
> didn't realise the multiplicity of variations on PCI slots! So the
> purchased card doesn't fit... :-(
>
> Before I get involved in the returns process and ordering a card that
> fits, I want to get it right this time... but can't really identify
> which slots I have. So, picture time:
>
>        http://www.colinbrough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PCIslots.jpg
>
> This is a shot of the PCI slots on the motherboard of the Proliant
> Microserver; backplate would be to the left. Neither of the slots fits
> the card I have, which is a D-Link Gigabit card (DGE-528T Rev.B1).
>
> These slots are PCI express slots 1x & 16x Form Factor - Half Height, Half
Length slot.

Specification

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13716_na/13716_na.HTML

Your PCI network card will not fit so do a return. As I am not really
acquainted with mini form factor network cards maybe somebody on the list
can help with any known suppliers.
I do have a temporary solution for you. I have USB 2.0/ Ethernet interface
connections that I use for laptops in case of wireless problems (they only
cost a few pounds). They are LInux compatible i.e. work out of the box. I
have just done a broadband speed test (evening test) comparing the
motherboard ethernet connection with the USB/Ethernet connection on my
Fedora box with my Virgin 50 Mbps broadband connection. They both recorded
38 Mbps & 1.5 Mbps for download & upload speeds respectively, showing there
were no speed losses on the USB/Ethernet connection. In order that you can
get on with what you are doing, until you find the required Ethernet card, I
will post this USB/Ethernet connection to you tomorrow (I already know your
address). Just keep the connection as it is only worth a few quid.

Gordon