[dundee] PCI slots

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Tue May 31 15:25:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:04:37 +0100, Colin Brough wrote:

> Hey folks
>
> OK, so following the earlier thread I got the HP Proliant microserver.
> And a second LAN port on a PCI card.
>
> Have clearly not bought enough hardware in the last few years, and
> didn't realise the multiplicity of variations on PCI slots! So the
> purchased card doesn't fit... :-(
>
> Before I get involved in the returns process and ordering a card that
> fits, I want to get it right this time... but can't really identify
> which slots I have. So, picture time:
>
> 	http://www.colinbrough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PCIslots.jpg

OK, well, those are PCI Express slots. the big would usually take a
graphics card. I guess what you bought was just a regular PCI.

> This is a shot of the PCI slots on the motherboard of the Proliant
> Microserver; backplate would be to the left. Neither of the slots fits
> the card I have, which is a D-Link Gigabit card (DGE-528T Rev.B1).
>
> On the picture the upper slot is about 6.5cm long, and the lower one
> about 9cm. The upper slot seems to be labelled SLOT 2-1 PCIe X1 and
> the lower one SLOT 1 PCIe2X16 25W.
>
> I just want a Linux compatible GigaBit LAN card that will fit!!
>
> What about:
>
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=471561&CatId=0
>
> (Says PCI Express, but I can't make the picture on the Misco catalogue
> match the holes on my motherboard!?!)

That card seems to be a x1, you seem to have x4 and x16 slots. It
should be OK in the x4 (smaller slot) or even the x16, even though it
won't use all the pins. The first block of pins will fully occupy the
first bit of the slot.

Andrew