[dundee] 5th April - Performance and Energy Efficiency in WLAN

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 10:45:46 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Just the usual shout out for our next meeting.

The talk will be held in the Burgh Coffee house at 6.30pm, it will be
on Performance and Energy Efficiency in WLANs.

It will be presented by our very own Markus Tauber, please find
neccessary details below.

The talk will be on work recently published --  see:

   *   Tauber M., Bhatti S. N., Yu Y.; Towards Energy-Awareness in Managing
Wireless LAN Applications; (2012); In Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2012:
IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium; Maui, Hawaii, USA;
   *   Tauber M., Bhatti S. N., Yu Y.; Application Level Energy and Performance
Measurements in a Wireless LAN; (2011); In Proceedings of GreenCom 2011 : The
2011 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications;
Chengdu, Sichuan, China;<http://www.cs.st-
andrews.ac.uk/%7Emarkus/publications/GREENCOM2011.bibtex>

at http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~markus/?what=publications

Abstract

I will present results of an experimental evaluation of energy
usage/efficiency and performance in a wireless LAN cell. We have
taken an application-level approach, by varying the packet size
and transmission rate at the application level and evaluating energy
usage across a range of application transmission rates using both
large and small packet sizes. We have observed that both the
application?s transmission rate and the packet size have an impact
on energy efficiency for transmission in our testbed. We also
included in our experiments evaluation of the energy efficiency
of emulations of YouTube and Skype flows, and a comparison
with Ethernet transmissions. I will also talk about how this findings
can be used to make future applications more energy efficient.

Regards,

--
Ryan Ward
The Software Society Limited