[dundee] LUG Meeting for November 8th - Daniel Gleed

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Sun Oct 28 13:27:14 UTC 2012

Next Meeting: November 8th @19:00
              Daniel Gleed - "Securing your android; what you can do as a user"
              @ The Burgh Coffee House, Commercial Street
              http://thesoftwaresociety.org.uk/calendar

I hope everyone is enjoying their week ends?

Our next meeting of the Software Society is being given my Daniel Gleed on Android Security.

As always the meeting is being held in the Burgh Coffee House, Commercial Street, Dundee (facebook.com/burghcoffee). Daniel will be starting his talk at 19:00 on the 8th of November.

Full up-to-date scheduling can be found on the new calender - http://thesoftwaresociety.org.uk/calendar - As I explained on Thursday, this calender is a 'living document' and shows the latest scheduled events (which means its subject to change)

Anyway, enough from me so here it is in his own words...

"Securing your android; what you can do as a user

These days we and members of the public use our Smartphones for so many features other than traditional calling and texting. We trust them with our calendars, contacts, automatic login to social media accounts, photographs, e-mail accounts and, in some cases, login information.

With the mobile market share of Android enable phones on the rise, 1.3 million phones being activated per day, it's open source base and the extra features provided as a standard it has opened itself to many threats many akin to threats on any other Linux device.

We will look at the most fool proof way to secure your android phone and show you various tools which can be installed on your very own android handset and practices you can adopt to help mitigate some of these threats. In addition to this we will look at what can be done to protect your data if you lose your phone on a night out or even if ninjas steal it."

I hope to see you all there...

And as always...
  If you have been, thanks for reading

Stuart McCulloch Anderson
Chairman

The Software Society Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre,
Newtyle, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH12 8TL, SCOTLAND

Mobile: +44 (0) 7787 432 476

A Company Limited by Guarantee