[dundee] The e-petition 'Put Alan Turing on the next £10 note'

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 17:27:19 UTC 2012

I got this in my mailbox this afternoon and thought it should be of interest to some people

"
The e-petition 'Put Alan Turing on the next £10 note' signed by you recently reached 21,996 signatures and a response has been made to it.
As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response: The Bank of England has been including historic characters on its notes since 1970. The Bank welcomes suggestions from members of the public for individuals who might feature on future banknotes, and publishes a list of these suggestions on its website. These suggestions inform the process when a new note is under consideration. The mathematician and cryptographer Alan Turing features on the list which can be found at: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Documents/about/banknote_names.pdf This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.
View the response to the e-petition

Thanks,
HM Government e-petitions http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk
"

And as always...
  If you have been, thanks for reading

Stuart McCulloch Anderson
Chairman

The Software Society Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre,
Newtyle, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH12 8TL, SCOTLAND

Mobile: +44 (0) 7787 432 476

A Company Limited by Guarantee