[dundee] Drupal Camp Scotland - 20 April, Glasgow

Rob Carr rob at carr.me
Mon Apr 8 13:43:44 UTC 2013

I'm still scratching the surface on Drupal 8, but the biggest change is that elements of Symfony 2 are being used for this new release. This is partly because the Drupal codebase has become quite large, so use of library was inevitable; but also there is a massive shortage of Drupal devs, so this may allow a lot of Symfony developers to take on Drupal jobs too.

The main theming engine is changing to Twig, but you can still use the old PHPTemplate themes too. No doubt there will be lack of backwards compatibility - one of the massive Drupal pain points (especially for themes) - but plenty of guidance on upgrading will probably start appearing on the web.

Rob