[dundee] Graphics cards, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Owen Bowers Adams owen at obowersa.net
Thu Mar 20 10:56:48 UTC 2014

> I think that we should just use a little bit of common sense and request
that people, email client permitting, not to top
> post, especially in large posts with long threads.

Fair enough, In regards to top posting I've never really found it that much
of an issue to work with and due to the default behaviour of some email
clients, it's easy enough to overlook. Is there any posting style
guidelines for the list ? Given the response to a breach of netiquette it
seems like something useful.

On the AMD graphics front, both AMD and Nvidia's official drivers would
appear to be equally as bad. Having done a bit more reading on the state of
the opensource drivers, I completely take back my previous statement about
the radeon drivers. Your correct, it's userspace firmware being loaded.

It does seem like Nvidia's been making an effort in the last 18 months or
so. Their documentation has got much stronger which has also allowed some
significant progress on the nouveau driver front. I suppose my big question
right now is this:given both companies have terrible official drivers and
their documentation appears ( at a cursory glance ) to be reaching similar
levels of maturity, is it still right to recommend AMD over Nvidia from a
purely AMD are better citizens perspective ? It seems that the landscapes
changing.